This spicy lentil soup is really easy to make and is great for cold, winter days. The family will definitely come back for seconds.
- Heat a large non-stick pot, add oil and heat.
- Add chopped onion and saute for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the garlic, turmeric, coriander and chilli, stir and cook for a few minutes until onion is soft.
- Add lentils and stir well to coat with the spices. Heat for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the water, stock cubes and the tomatoes. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are cooked.
- Serve hot with black pepper.
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 4 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2-3 tbsp turmeric
- 2-3 tbsp ground coriander seeds
- 2 tsp minced chili (or Asian Pickled Ground chili)
- 750gm dried red lentils, rinsed well
- 3L water
- 4 vegetable stock cubes or Vegeta
- 2 x 810gm cans crushed tomatoes
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
-> This will make a big pot of soup. You’ll have enough for everyone to enjoy over a few days
-> Nice with crusty bread, unless you’re watching your carbs…