Everyone loves a bowl of hot, steaming pumpkin soup. This is my tried and true recipe.
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 2.5kg butternut pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1.5 tablespoons vegetable stock
- 5 cups water
- Heat a oil in a large non-stick pot, add the onions and saute for 5-10 minutes, until transparent and starting to brown
- Add the chopped pumpkin and potato and stir with the onion for about 15 minutes
- Add the water and vegetable stock and stirring periodically, bring to boil.
- Simmer for around 30 minutes or until pumpkin and potato are cooked
- Remove from heat and puree/blend in the pot with a hand-held blender
- Return to heat and add 1 cup of thickened cream
- Gently heat through without boiling
- Serve with a dollop of cream
If they’re really peckish, serve with some crusty bread